SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
Steve Weigold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:55:51 -0500
> >Perhaps it doesn't.  Perhaps this is erroneous on my part, but
> it seems to
> >me that a diver who can't handle an 80 on land is unlikely to be able to
> >handle my (large) adult body with an 80 on it in the water.
>
> In my experience the only way to see what a person can handle in an
> emergency is to put them in one.  I have seen huge manly men
> freeze up like
> a scared child where their strength does them no good.  I have also seen
> smaller people including children handle things that I thought where far
> beyond their ability.  Training is the most important factor, not size.

No two ways about it, this is true.  I can speak from experience both as a
diver and a Paramedic.  Training is paramount, but subjecting anyone to a
situation that they may not be physically ready for in the first place is
simply foolish.  I won't gamble on the child (person.. whatever) being able
to go beyond their ability in an emergency.  They will have both the
training AND the physical capability to handle a problem, or they don't go.
Its that simple for me.

Steve