SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2002

From:
Timothy Doty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:37:58 -0500
                    Steve Weigold
                    <sweigold@POLE       To:     [log in to unmask]
                    ZERO.COM>            cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: [SCUBA-SE] What's your opinion
                    SouthEast US          about Certifying 10 year olds?
                    Scuba Diving
                    Travel list
                    <SCUBA-SE@RAVE
                    N.UTC.EDU>

                    03/13/2002
                    11:42 AM
                    Please respond
                    to SouthEast
                    US Scuba
                    Diving Travel
                    list

>> Not quite sure how inability to carry an 80 cu ft tank out of the water
>> fits in with the adult emergency?

>Perhaps it doesn't.  Perhaps this is erroneous on my part, but it seems to
>me that a diver who can't handle an 80 on land is unlikely to be able to
>handle my (large) adult body with an 80 on it in the water.

In my experience the only way to see what a person can handle in an
emergency is to put them in one.  I have seen huge manly men freeze up like
a scared child where their strength does them no good.  I have also seen
smaller people including children handle things that I thought where far
beyond their ability.  Training is the most important factor, not size.

>> I have found that younger (if not all) student divers these days are
>> more knowledgeable having used the video/CDRom format for self study
>> when compared to the prior method of attending full class lectures.. of
>> course that may say more about my lecture ability than anything else! ;
-)

>I'll agree with you here.  Both of my kids used the video format, and it
>seemed to be better at keeping the kids attention.  I won't speak to YOUR
>lecture ability, but it seems to me that ANY lecturer would have a tough
>time competeing with a professionally composed video.

Again it goes back to better training....