HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

From:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:42:32 -0800
James Byrne wrote:

> Without wishing to touch off a language jahid, comments on the
> relative merits of Python and Java (or other commonly used
> programming tools freely available on Linux)  for programming
> business applications would also be appreciated.

I've never used Python but have used Java.  That said, I'll vote for Java
for several reasons.  Reason #1 is its relative popularity.  Reason #2 is
its comprehensive environment. Java is not just a programming language it is
a development environment and perhaps even a paradigm. The JAVA environment
features portability, GUI's, Web interfaces, Object Orientation, the ability
to build reusable classes and components, remote object access, access to
RDBMS's and various data stores, etc.  It's language structure is very
conducive to object oriented development and there are a growing number of
classes available both free and commercial that ease the burden for
developers.

Charles Finley
Transformix Computer Corporation
760-439-3146