HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

From:
Dale Strommer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dale Strommer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:47:23 -0600
Mark, you are right about Bill and Dave. They did make some smaller
acquisitions; which is how they got into computers originally. They bought a
small Minnesota firm, I forget the name, and it became the 2100. This was
1966.

The Compaq merger seems to be about market share. Carly seems to be focused
on becoming number one in market share. When David Packard returned from his
stint at the DOD, he heard managers in the computer division talking about
market share. He quickly reminded them that market share was (and is) not an
HP corporate objective. He told them if they managed to the corporate
objectives market share would take care of itself. He firmly believed
managing to those objectives would mean the HP Way was alive and well.

Dale Strommer  HP Retired

"Mark Wonsil" <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message
Tom points us to this article in Time:
>HP's Fierce Face-Off
>Despite a brutal boardroom battle, Carly Fiorina is closing in on her
Compaq bid

FWIW, from today's WSJ:
Brandes Will Oppose H-P's Plan

H-P faces another vote against its plan to buy Compaq. Money-management firm
Brandes said it will oppose the proposed $21.7 billion acquisition.

BTW, I finally read the HP Way by David Packard.  I enjoyed very much and I
would have to say that Ms. Fiorina does not follow much of what I read.  W&D
were certainly not into big acquisitions.