HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:47:47 -0500
> That's all evolution is. Just one small change after another.
> Ecology becomes
> evolution by nothing more mysterious than the passage of
> time, as one body
> form replaces another as that change is warranted by current
> circumstances.

And one can observe the same in other aspects of life.  In other circles
this process is sometimes called the "Law of Unintended Consequences."  The
farmers certain didn't expect that a mutant fly would get around the poison
on the wall.  One can find excellent examples of this in government
regulatory policy.  (For the record, I do not subscribe to a Somalia type
free-for-all society, it's just that those in power often form regulation
whose purposes are rather self-serving.)  The best current example is the
folly called Campaign Finance Reform.  The last round of campaign finance
reform created hard limits on money to candidates - a significant change in
the ecology.  This gave rise to soft money, which thrived in the new
environment.  The current process (which attempts to reform the previously
reformed process) takes away soft money and suspends the First Amendment 60
days before an election.  (According to the LA Times,
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-000013924feb23.story, this
restriction is looser for Indian Tribes.  Here in Michigan, we are having an
awful problem with corruption in the tribes already because of Indian Gaming
allowed in Detroit.  This will make it worse.  See
http://detnews.com/specialreports/2001/chippewa/ for details.  There are
also loopholes for so-called non-partisan groups.
http://www.thehill.com/022002/circumvent.shtm The NRA and NAACP are both
considered non-partisan but I suspect everyone here might attach a partisan
view to each.)

So what do you think will happen in the new ecology?  That's right, the
politicians will grow longer toes so they can walk through the poison.  Uh,
sorry, got carried away.  Since the influence of the politician is still for
sale, there will have to be a different route to deliver the money.  One may
see a like-minded wealthy group buying up the on-air media and have a more
active roll in what gets reported on the airwaves since the best way to
influence an election will be during the 'non-ad period' news broadcasts.
Also, the aforementioned non-partisan groups will be pushing the envelope on
the definition of non-partisan.  They will have to carry the water for the
candidates which unfortunately will dilute the groups of their primary
purpose.

Another example of political ecological change, if it ever sees the day of
light, is the federal funding of charitable organizations.  Today they are
very efficient with their money because, well, they have to be.  It's a part
of the ecology they live in.  When the money starts to flow in, they will
not be under the same environmental pressures and will certain become more
like their government counterparts - fat and happy.

It's a process that goes on in all ecosystems and I thank Wirt for his
excellent and direct explanation.  I am sure others can think of examples in
sports, child rearing, business planning and others aspects of life.