HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:29:29 EST
I just wrote:

> Quite often before such outbreeding depression occurs, species recognition
> protocols (which are called "pre-zygotic isolating mechanisms") are often
> erected, generally behaviorally, but sometimes mechanically. While lions
and
> tigers will breed when in captivity and generally produce healthy
offspring,
> called "ligers", they never do in the wild. Indeed, the more likely outcome
> would be that one would kill the other, if given the chance. But they're
> rarely given the chance nowadays because tigers are primarily confined to
> Asia while lions are African. However, there was a time not long ago when
> both roamed Europe.

Let me just add a quick addendum and show you some pictures of "ligers" and
"tigons". These are beautiful animals, but they're also "species" that never
found favor with God. Images and more information about the ready
hybridization of the large cats is available at:

    http://www.shambala.org/wildone.htm

    http://www.tigers-animal-actors.com/about/liger/liger.html

    http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/hybridisation2.html

Wirt Atmar