HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:37:40 +0100
No big deal. Your friend can probably legally come out of the woods. MPE
boxes are ALWAYS configured with a 2-user HP-UX licence. The reason for this
is that the Support Tape, a bootable set of off-line diagnostics and
utilities occasionally used by trained HP personnel, runs on an HP-UX
kernel.

The reverse is not true. HP-UX boxes (i.e. 9000s) can't boot MPE. They just
don't need to.

Or, to put it another way, the vast superiority of the 3000 vs. the 9000 is
that it can sucessfully boot the OTHER operating system as well as its own.

Christian Lheureux
Responsable du Département Systèmes et Réseaux / Head of Systems and
Networks Department
APPIC R.H.
business partner hp invent
Tel : +33-1-69-80-97-22   /   Fax : +33-1-69-80-97-14 / e-mail :
"Le Groupe APPIC recrute, contactez nous !"