HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 3

From:
"James Clark,Florida" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Clark,Florida
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 05:59:23 -0500
Mr. Chandru,
        The R stands for real. The number following specify the number of words
used to store the numeric value. I am not sure you can use just R by itself
as the definition of reals on HP are either 2 or 4 words. As for the values
they both hold the same max value. Approximately 1 E308, but the difference
is in the accuracy of the number. The R2 only has 6 to 7 digit accuracy and
the R4 has 15 to 16 digit accuracy. As to the source of this information,
any of the old HP MPE books which discuss storage will describe the internal
storage of these values.
        HP switched to the more used standard of storing reals when it switched the
architecture of it CPU's to PA-RISC which use natively the IEEE standard,
but they still emulate the old values also.

        James