HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 3

From:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:19:26 -0800
John,

The problem is caused by how Vesoft's MPEX not MPE is handling the special
characters (!,',",>,<).   Although in the distant past MPEX was striving
for 100% MPE emulation they have indicated that they would not replicate
certain MPE behavior (MPE's REPL function for example).  One way that you
can overcome your current problem is to direct MPEX to 'pass' the command
file to MPE for execution.

I took the liberty and slightly modified your command file and in the
process added code to have MPE execute it.

Regards
Paul Christidis

comment The following is the MPE translation of the BASIC/V program per
comment Acks: Ted Ashton, Southern Adventist University
comment
setjcw insidempex=0
if insidempex <> 0 then
  mpe XEQ !hpfile
  return
endif
PURGE PRINTFIL
BUILD printfil;REC=-80,1,F,ASCII;DISC=80
file pf=printfil,old
SETVAR A80,"       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9"
ECHO !A80 >> *pf
SETVAR BLANK," "
SETVAR A80,  " 30        "
SETVAR ISUB,32
WHILE ISUB <= 127 DO
  SETVAR AMOD,ISUB MOD 20
  IF AMOD = 10 THEN
    SETVAR ALEN,LEN(A80)
    comment
    ECHO About to perform ECHO to PRINTFIL
    ECHO !A80 >> *pf
    SETVAR ACHAR,!ISUB
    SETVAR A80,BLANK + "!ACHAR    "
  ENDIF
  SETVAR A80,A80 + CHR(ISUB) + BLANK
  SETVAR ISUB,ISUB + 1
ENDWHILE
ECHO !A80 >> *pf
ECHO      >> *pf
PRINT PRINTFIL;page=0
reset pf
ECHO End-of-LINEDRAW

Dear Listers:

I have copied and translated to MPE from Basic/V the script generously
provided bt Ted Ashton.

Unfortunately, the first time through my "WHILE" loop, MPE,
uncharacteristically, is performing the "ECHO" to the screen, and not to
the PRINTFIL via ">>" redirection, ISUB=50. The second and subsequent
ECHO's does OK, and in fact, the first does as well. I've tried an number
of remedies without any luck.

Anybody got any ideas? Hope this is not too trivial
:-((

The code:

<< Code and output snipped >>

AMOD = 7
-----Will purge PRINTFIL.JPENNEY.TECSUP (code "", type FA, EOF 6, 32
sectors)
32 sectors will be saved
OK to purge 1 file (y/N)? y
-----Purging PRINTFIL.JPENNEY.TECSUP (32 sectors)
32 sectors saved
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 50    2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 : ; < = > ? @ A B C D E
 70    F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y
 90    Z [ \ ] ^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i j k l m
 110    n o p q r s t u v w x y z { | } ~

TIA

JP

John M Penney
Systems Programmer