HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 3

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:22:58 -0800
Willy writes:
>Is possible to run PaRisc-Linux on a HP3000 model 937RX ?

no. But if you get an a400/a500 then you are in luck!

I would urge those interested in tracking Linux on pa-risc to visit
http://www.parisc-linux.org which contains the latest info on the
status of the Linux on pa-risc project.

Excerpts from this site might be of interest to those reading
this posting without having to follow the links. The '**' headings
are mine.

** Comments on most recent release **

On December 11, 2001 the PA-RISC Linux development community announced
version 0.9.3, the latest version of Linux for computers using Hewlett
Packard's PA-RISC processor. This release is the latest in a series
representing several years of work by developers in the Free Software
community including developers from The Debian Project, Hewlett Packard,
ESIEE, and Linuxcare.

** Comments on which pa-risc systems Linux will run **

SERVERS
The earliest PA-RISC servers have proprietary HP devices attached to
proprietary HP bus architectures. Documentation on these busses and devices
will not become available soon since no one in HP is finding, "scrubbing",
and releasing the docs. Machines in this category are the E, F, G, H, I
class (aka Nova) and T500 series (Emerald) machines as well as some earlier,
unlettered servers.

The T600 is unlikely to ever be supported. Though T600 uses some of the same
GSC devices (eg card-mode Dino 100BT, Zalon FWD SCSI) as K-class, T600 has
the Java I/O MMU, instead of U2, which is NOT I/O coherent. Linux PCI
drivers require I/O coherency.

The D, K and R class machines are at least partially supported. The HP-PB
(aka NIO) devices aren't supported due to lack of documentation -- the same
documentation which makes the Nova/Emerald machines unsupportable. These
machines are architecturally similar to the older B, C and J class
workstations and share most of the I/O devices, busses (GSC) and processors.

The A180, L1000/2000, and A400/A500 servers are supported. Support for
L3000, N class, and Superdome will someday follow. The "larger" machines all
require additional I/O subsystem support. Superdome requires some additional
VM work which is in progress.

People ask about V-class. V-class has a very different architecture from
other HP machines. See the Server Architecture Reference for details. One
major known problem with supporting V-class is the complexity of its PCI bus
adapter (EPIC and SAGA). Support for the V-class isn't going to happen until
some really masochistic person who has access to a V-class is, uh,
challenged by this.

Duane Percox