HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 3

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:09:14 -0500
That somethin' is very special indeed.

As far back in to 1980s someone discovered a technique
whereby data could be recovered from magnetic media after
erasure by ones and zeroes.  Basically it depends on the
principle that magnetic media leaves a trace signature of
its former state behind, even after it has been changed.

A engineer described the technique using an analogy by
saying:  "It works on the same principle that when a
rubber band has been stretched, even though it returns
to it's original size and shape, has properties that
reveals it has been stretched before."

(Apparently, it works best on the original data that
was written to the disc the first time it was used.)

I'm not an engineer and neither have I performed such a
recovery operation.  But I know it exists.

Tracy Johnson
MSI Schaevitz Sensors