HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:26:21 -0500
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:22:49 -0800, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Well, my approach is to indicate in Interex surveys and conversations with
>HP sales reps & channel partners, that when we move off the 3000 we move
off HP hardware, and that, since we like single-vendor solutions & no
>finger-pointing, they are even endangering their lock on our printer
>business.

The same was indicated by my IT-manager.
Single-vendor (Hardware, OS, Database, Compiler). No finger-pointing. No
10-15 servers

>This is not just a bluff.  We will stay on the 3000 for at least 2 years
>after HPs wants, and are desperate to stay on even longer, but the fallback
>position is to talk to IBM about about a possible iSeries (AS/400), and to
>request enhancements like Cobol macros.

Seems like IBM is the only option at the moment. Their salesforce at least
contact and talk to you. Might even get some days at one of their sites to
test the AS/400 and the Cobol-compiler.

>Meanwhile, can anyone give an informed evaulation of how an AS/400 stacks
up against @nix as a machine to port to (for a single-platform Cobol/Image
shop with small staff and a 21-year history of using every MPE/Cobol/Image
trick in the book)?

Same here. In-house-development, small staff and 15-20year history.

Don't know if Winston or whoever is responsible for sales & marketing at CSY
reads this or needs to be notified.

Michael