HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:45:50 -0500
At 09:17 AM 2/8/2002 -0600, Ray Stevens wrote:
>My first 3000 was a Series II (we won't talk about the HP2000C' before
>that), and yes it used to be that HP CEs came on site once per month to PM
>(Preventative Maintenance) the machines. They'd clean them up, dust them off
>and even take the old cleaning spray and remove any scuffs from the outside
>of the machine. They'd check the err logs, run diagnostics and make sure you
>weren't having any problems. They'd let you know about when the next release
>was coming out and *gasp!* install software update tapes!!! WOW!!!

Showing my age as well, my first 3000 was a Series II. 128Kb of memory,
800bpi tape, two physically large disk drives (I have forgotten the model)
which together held less than 100Mb, 4 terminals, monster line printer,
COBOL, RJE, required 220v.

We saw our CE (Waverly Davis - one of the best in the business) regularly,
and he kept us humming. But, the machine cost $500,000. I don't remember
what support cost (do you Dave?).

The 918 sitting in the corner of my office has 384mb of memory, 26gb of
disk, DDS3 tape, COBOL, C, networking, etc, etc., etc. Cost < $20,000.00 It
has never seen a CE.

The point of all this is that you used to get great support, but you paid a
hell of lot of $$$ for the machines and support back then. Only those with
large budgets could afford them. Now, you don't get the support you used
to, but you don't pay big bucks to buy a very powerful machine, either. I
don't think anyone really wants to go back to the "good old days".

Tom Brandt
Northtech Systems, Inc.
313 N. 1st Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103