HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:29:23 -0800
Allen,

I don't know if this would apply to the telamon program but it may worth a
try.

In my site I use another contributed program 'JTMAIL'.  The situation that
you describe arose in our site in the cases where a programmer would use
the 'mailxfer' script from a batch job without having the 'mailfrom'
variable set.  In those cases the program would use the job's
'hpuser.hpaccount' and the host name to identify the source of the e-mail.

The resulting problem was that some of the recipients would 'reply-all' and
thus our mail system would begin to complain as it could not deliver mail
to the host shown in the 'from' address.

The solution that I came up with, was to assign a default 'from' address
(that corresponded to the responsible programmer) for each MPE account that
used out 'mailxfer' script.  In an attempt to also indicate that the e-mail
came from a batch job, I also tried to embed enough information of the
job/session that mailed the information.  So in the cases where a 'from'
address is not defined I use the following:

          setvar MAILUSER   WORD(host,".") + "(#!hpjobtype!hpjobnum)" &
                          + DWNS("!hpjobname.!hpuser.!hpaccount") &
                          + "<" + "!default_from_address" + ">"

where 'host' and 'default_from_address' are determined by the script.

On a test that I just ran the 'from' address of the received e-mail had the
following in its 'from' field:

Mav(#S2619)xtidis.manager.sys<[log in to unmask]>

So it seems that in the 'SMTP' world, address is 'considered' the text
between the "<...>" and the rest is carried along unchanged.

Regards
Paul Christidis

I'm using Telamon's freeware mail program and have a request to be able to
control the display name on the from address.  For instance, when Mark
Bixby
posts a message to this news group, I see it in my Inbox as being from
"Mark
Bixby" not [log in to unmask]  The from address has a display name embedded in
it  (  Mark Bixby [[log in to unmask]] ).  I've tried to do this when setting
the from address variable but the program does not like it.  Anyone ever do
this?

PS  Hope you don't mind me using you as an example, Mark!

Thanks!

Allen