HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 18:08:27 +0100
John after Art...

>Duane Percox wrote something to HP3000-L and I did a two part series in the
>3000 NewsWire about this. The "documented" alternate OUTSPTJ directive for
>npconfig DOES NOT WORK. Duane wrote about how you could sort of fake out the
>system to use two different OUTSPTJ spoolers, but as a practical matter you
>could not use this trick on a production system with a mix of PCL and
>non-PCL printers.

One could leave OUTSPTJ alone and tweak my FakeLP.java program (see list
archives for the source code) to work as a "socket relay" in such a way
that it accepts incoming traffic from OUTSPTJ (looking like a pretty dumb
network printer in NPCONFIG) and forwards it to the real target printer,
optionally "massaging" the data stream to remove unwanted PCL/PJL "stuff".

However, why spend a few hours on this while 3rd party tools are mature?

Lars.