HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 1

From:
Adam Dorritie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Dorritie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:36:02 -0800
Chris,

Michael's suggestion isn't that J2EE isn't as good as you say, it's just
that ODBC isn't as bad.  You're taking apples and comparing them to a
company which produces orange-flavored liqueur.  If you want to make a valid
comparison in which, I am sure, Java will make a strong showing (if not
shine), then try comparing the ODBC apple to its Java counterpart-- JDBC.
ODBC is simply a standard (and yes, it is a standard) implementation of the
X/Open and ISO CLI (Call-Level Interface) intended for _accessing
databases_-- not providing an application framework, a development
methodology, or "the standard for developing multitier enterprise
applications" (java.sun.com) as is J2EE.  If you want to compare apples to
apples, in an effort to let folks know why you think they should buy your
product, then feel free to call out any of the application server
environments available today (including Cold Fusion) which support ODBC and
tell them why yours is better-- I'm sure you'll be right.

Oh, by the way, we use ODBC because it's convenient and works well in the
situations we've had to apply it to.  If the situation called for it, we'd
use JDBC or even develop under a J2EE-compliant application server to meet
the needs of our customers.  The key to having a useful box of tools is
knowing the value and use of each one.  When you get too enamored of a
particular tool, you find yourself doing things like using your favorite
pile driver to pound a nail into place.

Just my $.02.

Regards,

Adam Dorritie
Easy Does It Technologies LLC
(702) 270-6402
http://www.editcorp.com

Chris Thompson orates:

> My understanding is that there are or have been a number of issues with
> ODBC -

<snip>
  A number of reasons why ODBC sucks-- some likely valid, some invalid.
</snip>

> ODBC, unlike J2EE, provides simply a client/server mechanism for
> connecting to data sources using SQL. So although it separates data
> access from business and presentation logic it provides little else.
> The programmer still has to design and maintain a whole range of
> services that J2EE provides by default. With J2EE you just consume the
> services which means lower time to market and lower development and
> support costs.

<snip>
  Several paragraphs extolling the virtues of J2EE
</snip>