HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 1

From:
David T Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 08:40:19 -0700
Dave,

Posted my reply back out to the list - hope you don't mind.

I just called the Lockheed-Martin Metrology Lab where I installed three
Zebra printers in about 1990.
They are model 140's. Those printers have been in continuous operation
since then. One label for every piece of T&ME that goes through the lab,
which as you might imagine is a lot considering the plant is a
rocket/satellite/space probe factory.
The 140 is of the Xi family with a metal case and little if any plastic
parts.
http://zebra.com/PA/Printers/series_Xi.htm

I am positive you can connect them to a DTC Port as long as you configure
the DTC correctly; the printers at LMCO are on a PVC implemented with, I
think, Sysco hardware, but I am not sure.

Three-pins is fine: pins 2, 3, and 7 speaking DB-25-centrically. Configure
the DTC port and the Zebra at 9600 baud, X-ON/X-OFF, no enq-ack please.

If you are sending a lot of data (label after label) to the Zebra and get
buffer overruns, it is because the X-OFF character isn't getting recognized
by the DTC quickly enough (datacomm's fault, not the printer's.) This was
also a problem with older, cheaper HP dot-matrix tractor-feed printers with
very small buffers, and the cheapest solution is to knock the baud rate
down to 2400 or 1200.  You can also add memory to the Zebra, which you
should do anyway if you plan on ever printing raster graphics on it.

It does appear that Zebra is a lot more friendly these days to the
networked printer environment, so I suggest you check out their site before
you decide to use your DTC. (I have a rotary-dial phone somewhere, but I
don't use it.)

Also, there is a newer, cheaper Zebra "Desktop" family, which is for office
use. They have plastic cases. I have no information on their reliability or
longevity.

-Dave Darnell

"David Otte" <[log in to unmask]> on 02/06/2002 07:30:42 AM