HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 1

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:52:58 -0500
Excellent article!  Thanks, Catherine!

Here's an excerpt:

"What Mr. Skilling [Enron] and Ms. Fiorina have in common is their
indifference to the substance of their businesses. They are all "message."
They despise their employees, their shareholders, and their customers; they
have little interest in the products their companies sell; but they love
themselves and the trappings and power of their rank.

In my six years at Red Herring, I have noticed that the best business
leaders are different. They are, with few exceptions, modest in their lives
and restrained in their expressions of self-importance. They are childishly
excited by their company's products and believe that the excellence of those
products is the best guarantee of success. With few exceptions, they are not
salespeople, but rose through product development. I am thinking of Bill
Gates, Andy Grove, and even Steve Jobs. They hope to delight and surprise
their customers. They would never lie to their investors, and they think the
stability of their company's share price is a worthy end. Most importantly,
they believe their greatest asset is the people at their companies. They
hope to inspire loyalty and provoke creativity. They do not pander to their
staff (they can be tough), but they would think they were in terrible
trouble if their employees were unhappy and disillusioned.

Perhaps the best examples of this ideal were Mr. Hewlett and Mr. Packard
themselves. As leaders, they were everything that Red Herring says its
readers should be. Ms. Fiorina and Mr. Skilling are everything you say
business leaders are at their worst."

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231

I WANT MY MPE!