HP3000-L Archives

February 2002, Week 1

Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:46:00 -0500
I * did * flag this as off-topic...

I guess the subject explains most of the question. We now have a Lexmark X73
at home. It's one of those quite inexpensive multifunction scanner / inkjet
devices that connects via USB. And I assume it contains as little processing
as possible, relying on whatever it is attached to for processing. We have
attached it to a rather old system running Windows 2000 Server. We would
like to also be able to print to it from a WinME or Win98 PC on our little
LAN.

Unfortunately, searching google provided me with a number of sites selling
it, but none answering authoritatively if it can be shared. Lexmark says
this is "unsupported", which is of course a different thing than being
impossible. I've installed the appropriate software on a PC, and it seems to
see the printer. But attempting to print results in errors, first on the PC.
Canceling the job then causes the server and the printer to make the sounds
that are normal for starting and immediately ending a print job, but nothing
actually prints. So, it seems close to possible. Is that like being mostly
dead?

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com