UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Chuck Cantrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Cantrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:40:27 -0500
The following news release was issued by the Office of University
Relations today and Chancellor Stacy asked that we share it with the
campus.

UTC announces development planning for Engel
February 18, 2002

Chattanooga TN --University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor
Bill Stacy announced today the University's plans to develop the
historic Engel Stadium and surrounding neighborhood. As part of the
University's commitment to the project, Athletics Director Oval
Jaynes will leave his current role  and assume the position of
Special Assistant to the Chancellor.
        "I am very grateful to Oval for accepting my request to
change his duties. Athletics directors stay very busy with the day to
day operations of a major university division. We need someone to
give 24/7 attention to long-range planning and community investment
from an sportsplex angle, and I am drawn to Oval to help with this
vision because he has the best mix of skills to bring to this major
assignment," said Stacy.
        The Hamilton County Commission has approved turning
management of Engel Stadium over to UTC and the Chattanooga City
Council is expected to do so soon. UTC officials have pledged to
preserve the historic athletic facility for community use. Other
possible uses of the land around the stadium include a track, a
wellness center, a golf driving range, and other fitness-related
facilities. The site will also be used to support UTC's academic
programs in Exercise Science and Athletic Training as well as provide
recreational space for intramurals and other student activities. UTC,
which has not fielded intercollegiate baseball since 1978, has also
announced that it will consider adding baseball to its current
athletics competition.
        The Engel site, including property already owned by the
University, affords approximately 25 acres of developable land.
Chancellor Stacy points to the successful development by UTC in the
M.L. King neighborhood-in which the University has developed around
11 acres-and stresses the opportunity to do similarly around Engel.
        UTC will hold a series of planning meetings to solicit input
from the city and county governments, the historic Fortwood
residents, Erlanger Medical Center, Norfolk Southern Railroad, other
commercial entities in the neighborhood, and most especially
residents of surrounding neighborhoods.
        "I think what we've shown is that the Chattanooga Way works,"
said Chancellor Stacy. "We want to bring in representatives from all
of the constituencies and ask them, 'What do you want in your
community?' Certainly the University has some needs, but we want to
match our needs to the desires of the area to create a plan that is
beneficial to everyone."
        Planning meetings should begin this spring with specific
dates and locations to be announced.
        Jaynes will continue to serve as UTC Athletics Director until
a replacement is named. Stacy said he hopes to begin the process
immediately and have someone in place as soon as possible, perhaps by
the end of this school year.
        "I look forward to the new assignment which will give me the
opportunity to serve the University and to work closely with Dr.
Stacy to make UTC the choice for higher education in Tennessee," said
Jaynes.

--

Chuck Cantrell
Assistant Vice Chancellor for University Relations

Voice (423) 755-4363
Fax (423) 755-5299