UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Becky Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:21:27 -0500
The National Education Association’s fifth annual observance of NEA’s Read
Across America is calling all America’s children, both young and old, to
celebrate the joys of reading with Dr. Seuss on his 98th birthday.

On Friday, March 1, 2002, UTC's Literacy Enrichment Corps, an AmeriCorps
program, would like to observe Dr. Seuss Day with Hamilton County Schools.
If every person employed by the University could give at least one hour of
his or her time to read in one of twenty-one Hamilton County Title I Schools
served by AmeriCorps, our Dr. Seuss Day will be a success.  We hope that you
will be willing to give an hour of service to benefit our future leaders.
All volunteers will read to students in grades K-3. You may read to two or
more classes depending on the amount of time you have and the length of time
it takes to complete the books and answer questions at the end.  The schools
served by AmeriCorps are:

Barger Academy                                  Birchwood Elementary School
Clifton Hills Elementary School                 Daisy Elementary School
Calvin Donaldson Elementary School              East Lake Elementary School
East Side Elementary School                             Falling Water Elementary School
Garber Elementary School                                Hardy Elementary School
Howard Elementary School                                Lakeside Academy
Normal Park Elementary School                   Orchard Knob Elementary School
Rivermont Elementary School                     Bess T. Shepherd Elementary School
Hillcrest Elementary School                             Spring Creek Elementary School
White Oak Elementary School                     Woodmore Elementary School
21st Century Academy

If you are interested in volunteering to read Dr. Seuss books please contact
Adrienne Martin, Becky Brand, or Deidra Maxwell at 785-2229 no later than
February 25, 2002.  Each participant should provide his or her own Dr. Seuss
books.

Thank you for your support of children in the Hamilton County Schools and
UTC's Literacy Enrichment Corps.

Thank you,
Gwendolyn Williams
AmeriCorps Program Director