SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2002

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:59:00 -0500
David Hale wrote:

> I understand the reasoning behind this idea, but I personally would not
surrender my
> personal identification to a boat operator. Some states still put social
security numbers
> on their DLs (Alabama used to, but now the driver has the option to leave
it off.) If
> someone makes a copy of your driver license and has your SSN, they can
give it to the
> identity fraud gangs. Then the fun really begins.

I'm aware of Alabamas use of SSNs until very recently.  Not a real bright
thing to do, but hey, it's Alabama.  You certainly should keep you SSN
private in most cases, but it's not all that hard to get someone's if you
want it badly enough.

> And if they lose it or forget to give it back to me, then I am SOL until I
get a replacement.

You don't give it to the boat, it's filed in the dive shop.  They don't
forget or remember to return it.  It's your job to get it back.  The idea is
that any left behind are divers that may not have returned with the boat and
the search begins.

> If that is an absolute requirement to dive with them, I hope they make
that clear to
> customers at the time of booking. I don't even like letting operators keep
> c-cards, but handing over my personal ID is out of the question.

You can't have it both ways.  You want the security the program offers, you
take the risks that go with it.  If the risks are too high, then you give up
the security.  I don't know if they insist on a DL.  They asked me for one,
I gave it to them and I recovered it after the dive was done.  No problem.

Lee