SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2002

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:31:16 -0500
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 Steve Weigold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Sadly, we had our first diver fatality for 2002 here in Perth :-(
>> I have waited until official confirmation of the cause of death ..
>> she was classed as a drowning statistic.
>
>I'm always sorry to hear about such things.  While it is unfortunate,
>at least it wasn't because of someone's negligence.

Shocked a lot of people who were on the island at the time. Naturally
seeing an emergency every man & his dog came to investigate what was going
down .. and many freaked when the medics covered her head with a towel.
That same day we had a diver in his 50s who ran out of air at depth while
chasing lobster. He spent a bit of time in the chamber... not a good day :-(

>> Sadly, she did not have a chance. Though only 19 she had a cyst on
>> her heart which ruptured, an unexpected event that could have
>> happened at any time,
>
>Interesting that she was classed as a drowning statistic if her cause of
>death was cardiac in nature such as this..

Sorry, my mistook ... I type faster than my brain can think & I missed
typing in a very important word at the end of that first sentence.
It should have been "she was ORIGINALLY classed as a drowning statistic"
Viv