SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2002

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:32:34 -0500
Chuck wrote:

> Probably see a lot of the same critters. After all, isn't all that far
from
> GC to Cozumel (325 nautical miles) and it is pretty much the same ocean.
The
> Cayman islands are due south of Cuba (in fact you will most likely overfly
> Cuba - not to worry they allow airliners to overfly - at least they have
not
> shot one down yet.)

> You wont see any splendid toadfish though you might see other toadfish.
> Stingrays, watch for eagle rays,  turtles, all the different varities of
> angel fish, triggers, FLRF, possibly porpoise, possibly sharks of the
> non-nurse variety.  Probably a better chance of larger animals than in
> Cozumel.  I personally did not enjoy the sting ray city visit (for a lot
of
> reasons - see my trip report on my web page if you want the whole gory
> thing) but a lot of people think it is marvelous.  If you are opposed to
> shark dives, then this is one you should miss.  If you do spend any time
on
> shore, you might want to go to the turtle farm and to Hell.  Yes there is
> town on GC called Hell.  They have t-shirts for the Hard Rock Cafe in
Hell,
> postcards, etc.

Yes to all of the above.  I'll add to your information that the Grand Cayman
turtle farm releases a substantial quantity of turtles of several varieties
into the wild.  They make the rest into soup, steaks, etc.  A fair trade
off, I suppose.  At any rate, in my experience, turtle sightings have been
much more common around Grand Cayman than other Carribean locations I've
visited.

Unlike Chuck, I really enjoyed Stingray City.  Actually,  I visited the Sand
Bar, but it's the same show.  The Stingrays are there and any damage
behavioral changes will eventually do has already been done.  If you have to
do something ecologically incorrect, this experience would be on my list.
If you do it, do it on Scuba.  The interaction with the stingrays is more
complex and, for me, enjoyable when you don't have to surface periodically.

Hell's an interesting place to see, but don't spend much time there.  Look,
mail yourself a postcard from the on site postoffice and, if you must, get a
T shirt.  About a half hour is all this is worth.  The turtle farm is worth
a bit more time.

Lee