SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2002

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 09:23:13 -0500
Carol Reid wrote:

> > What do _you_ drink? (apart from the alcy stuff!)
> > What should you drink?

Unlike others who responded, I do not do anything special before my first
dive.  On the other hand, I monitor my hydration on a more or less
consistent basis using Viv's pee test, i.e. the color and clarity.  Easy for
a guy since the traditional method requires that we look where we are
shooting.  I don't do this specifically for diving, but of survival training
I took years ago that, among other things, included ensuring sufficient
hydration.

I do something that I didn't see others mention.  I watch my hydration
between dives, particularly when I know one or more of them will bring me
close to or past my no decompression limits.  In addition to the dehydrating
effects of heat, the very dry scuba air we breathe also tends to dehydrate
divers.  I'm not sure of the extent of the effect, only that there is a
cumulative one.  I look for something non carbonated, preferably without
caffeen.  Gator Aide or water are my normal choices.

Lee