SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2002

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 17:11:47 +1100
On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 19:44:49 +1100, David Strike
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Today's, Daily Telegraph (the Sydney one!) had a piece entitled: "New pet
> trend gallops in".
>
> I ain't going to type it out in it's entirety, but it relates to a new
> 'trend' in keeping seahorses as pets!!!!!
(snip)

Me mate Roger, whom you know, and family proudly showed off their two
examples around Christmas. I'm quite sure he looks after them well,
but now there's only one. :(

Speaking entirely personally I can't understand why we'd want to keep
such exotic, quite possibly very difficult to maintain, creatures.
Goldfish, Koi Carp, European Carp for that matter which sort of came
to this country as pets and are now vermin (that also applies to foxes
and the like which are equally a problem here) can be easily reared,
until people tire of them and release them into the unsuspecting wild.

Caveat, I did not properly phrase all that, I know I am technically
wrong in a couple of cases, but the message is entirely correct.

Viv will certainly agree with me as to the importation of our possums
to the wilds of Nuw Zllnd. This was equally not a good thing.

Entirely Off Topic but the pressure of humanity is making the keeping
of our traditional pets, dogs and cats, which have been with us for
decades of millennia, increasingly difficult. The human has a desire,
a proclivity, for a pet, if only because these, whatever they are, are
beholden to their benefactor/pack leader and cannot, mostly cannot,
express their grievances if any. No bad thing in this society and so
that human "pack leader" rejoices in his/her dominance of the "dumb" animal.

It's interesting to note that that word "dumb" has two principal
meanings, the later (note spelling) one derived precisely from this
"human to animal" relationship. :-7

So today we keep things which do not require walks, or training, or
responsibility (a subject in itself) and are quite happy (really? we
know this?) in their cages of whatever type.

Sorry for the OT, and OTT, rave.

Cheers,

Christian