SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:52:10 +1100
The weather in Sydney for the past week has been ...  the word 'wet' doesn't
do justice to the amount of rain!  But as we were afeared of drying out,
Julian, Dave and myself went for a dip at, (drum roll, please!)  Shelly
Beach!  :-)

It was the first opportunity to try out my new digital Sony DSC-P5 and the
underwater housing.

Regrettably the visibility was shot to bits by all of the run off, but rose
to about 8-metres on the outer reefs.  (The temperature was also lower than
usual for this time of the year at just 21 deg. C.)

Just before the seagrass beds, Julian's keen eye spotted a small Slender Sea
Moth lying on the sand.  I put the camera in macro mode and have some very
passable shots of the little critter that somewhat resembles a dragonfly.

Swimming out beyond the headland we saw numerous rays; four large
wobbegongs, schools of yellowtail and Kingfish, a couple of large Eastern
Blue Groupers , a lionfish nestling between the fingers of a black sponge,
and a beautifully marked Fiddler Ray.

During that one 76-minute dive, I managed to secure more acceptable images
than has been the case since dumping the 'Calypso' for a Nik V!  :-)

Strike