SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:41:34 +1100
On Friday, February 01, 2002 7:45 PM, Brad Stambaugh wrote:

(snip)
>It seems to me that
> Scuba Pro Jet fins could be very  popular if they made them with a good
> foot pocket. I think most people agree that they hurt. The instep is too
> low. The sole should be extended. The material should be more flexible
> (but not in the blade). Does any one agree? It would be my choice in
> fins.

I've never been that aware of - or experienced noticeable discomfort - from
the Jet fins foot pocket.  But certainly in comparison, say, with the Twin
Jets there's a heap of difference.  The Twin Jets have a foot pocket that's
possibly the most comfortable - for me - that I've ever worn.  I also liked
the extended sole.  (Something, by the way, that did entail a little more
care when putting them on in order to make sure the fin strap didn't get
caught!)  :-)

> The patent has expired on these fins, and someone could probably make
> some money if they updated the foot pocket.

And added spring straps.  Surely one of the best - and easiest to use - fin
retaining systems ever invented?  :-)

> Strike, maybe you could use your influence and publishing connections to
> persuade Scuba Pro or some other manufacturer to do this.

My 'influence' with any of the diving manufacturers - or publishers - is
practically non-existent! :-)

Which is why I keep saying that I'm going to re-launch another diving mag
along the lines of 'Professional Diver Journal'.  (It wouldn't give me any
more influence; just give me a self-indulgent vehicle for bringing to light
aspects of diving that I enjoy writing about!)  :-)

Strike