HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 4

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 05:32:31 -0600
"John Burke" <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message
> > From: John Clogg [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> >
> > I would have to agree with Carol.  The presenters today
> > demonstrated a firm
> > grasp of the obvious.  There was little or no useful
> > information offered.  I
> > hope that this insultingly shallow presentation was simply
> > the baseline for
> > future presentations of greater depth.
> >
> Apparently, the non-fluff is to be presented in future webcasts that will
> carry a charge. I learned nothing I did not already know. Mostly what I
got
> from the webcast today is that there are plenty of people, including HP,
> ready to help us out of our misery - for a fat fee of course.

So in order to tell us how to migrate from the HP3000, presumably to new
HP-UX servers that HP will wish to sell us and make a nice turn on, HP Is
proposing to *charge*.

I wonder if other manufacturers and suppliers, sensing a sales opportunity
from migrating HP3000 users will do the same, or whether they will regard
this as a sunk cost which is part of the sales effort?

A classic mistake, when trying to sell extensions, new systems or why to
existing customers is to regard the costs of this as chargeable consultancy
costs under the ongoing arrangements, forgetting that your competitors will
be regarding it as selling costs, and so non-chargeable. Many feet have been
got in the door this way.

Perhaps, with hindsight, the current HP management would bemoan the fact
that Compatibility Mode was available at no extra charge on the PA-RISC
boxes, and instead have sold it as an add-on extra 'but only to those who
needed it'.

Hint: the easier (and cheaper) the path for HP3000 users to any other
platform is, the more they are likely to go that route. And the converse is
also true.

--
Roy Brown

MPE is dead, they say. And now they want to *sell* us the grief counselling?