HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 4

From:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:18:29 -0800
CORRECTION:
There is some wrong information in here:

- Flexibase fully supports B-Trees, and always has done since they were
introduced.
- It also fully supports Detail dataset DDX, and again has done since their
introduction.
- For the other features such as Jumbos, Master DDX and the recent
Image size increases the latest version will detect and prevent access - but,
of course older versions won't, and results would be unpredictable (as it would
with older versions of DBGeneral and Adager as well of course)..

At 08:26 PM 1/22/2002 -0800, Sletten Kenneth W KPWA wrote:
>Brian or Robert please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that besides
>not handling JUMBO datasets, the latest version of Flexibase also does
>not know about B-Trees ??..  I also don't know if it supports the increase
>of dataset max entry length to 2378 words (which was a feature that sort
>of "snuck in there" a few years ago);  or if it fully supports DDX (both
>Master and Detail).  Where Brian said that it does not support the more
>recent enhancements, assume he is referring to the change from
>EntryByName to 32-bit EntryByNumber, > 16 paths in a Master, and >
>199 datasets and > 1023 items in one database....  I'm quite sure it does
>not support using MPE Large Files to get > 4 GB in one dataset (just
>very recently available).

As I reported at SIG3000 last year, you are correct, it does not support
any of the features in the previous paragraph.

>I mention last above because even if you do NOT use any of these new
>"limits" features, if you are on a version of TurboIMAGE that supports
>them I think you may have to be careful that you do not get any "bits
>flipped" in the root file;  that Adager will catch as an exception during
>its
>consistency check.  That was one of the reasons we stopped running
>Flexibase:  Our IMAGE version had advanced to one that supported
>more features than Flexibase was aware of (and especially we started
>using B-Trees everywhere as soon as they came out);  and Flexibase
>seemed not to know that previously unused bits in the root file were now
>in use by the latest version of IMAGE.  My *perception* from multiple
>TRANSMUT runs was that Flexibase would "zero" those bits;  for
>datasets that it did major transformations on (but I never actually
>confirmed exactly what was going on)....

I believe that the latest version (E.08.01) knows about all of the features
listed above.  I know that it refuses to do maintenance on
databases/datasets that have these features enabled.

Brian Duncombe  [log in to unmask]  http://www.triolet.com
voice: 1-877-TRIOLET (874-6538) (905)632-2773 fax: (905) 632-8704
"Inside every large program is a small one struggling to get out"
C.A.R. Hoare