HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:39:18 -0800
Hi Ken,

You want to do some reading in cf/README about "nocanonify" and "MASQUERADE_AS".

By default, sendmail rewrites all e-mail headers to contain the machine's true
canonical name.  FEATURE(nocanonify) can suppress that rewriting, but only on
your own machine, and so other mail transports might still rewrite your
hostname if you are using an alias.

MASQUERADE_AS is the preferred way of having your machine impersonate another
machine for all e-mails, which may or may not be what you want in this case.

- Mark B.

Born, Ken wrote:

> Greetings,
> Currently, when I send an email from the HP3000, it uses the hostname
> correctly as devxl.icjia.org.
> However, I want to change the outgoing email to alerts.icjia.org.
> I changed the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file
>
> # my official domain name
> # ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
> domain
> Djalerts.icjia.org
>
> CP.
>
> However, when I restart the SENDMAIL and issue the following command.  It
> still comes up with devxl.
> Am I doing this right?
> or
> Do I need to use a masquerade function??
> shell/iX> /usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1
> Version 8.12.1 HP MPE/iX A.01.00 (BETA2)
>  Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND
>                 NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB PIPELINING SCANF USERDB XDEBUG
>
> ============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
>       (short domain name) $w = devxl
>   (canonical domain name) $j = devxl.icjia.org
>          (subdomain name) $m = icjia.org
>               (node name) $k = devxl.icjia.org
>
> Recipient names must be specified
> Thanks....
> p.s. What's up with the CP. command ???

Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...