HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:04:07 EST
Gavin writes:

> > Based on your description of a network that went on the
>  > blink, I'd say that you have a multi-processor system and were trying
some
>  > :NETCONTROL command that then hung the network.
>
>  Nope.  We started getting various networking related errors such as:
>
>     h:mm/#Jnnn/pp/Could not initialize data in path with TCP
>
>  and could not ping the box or establish any new IP connections.  It's not
>  clear whether existing connections were still working or not.  I had at
>  least one external indication that they were, but this might just not have
>  timed out yet.

The two conditions, the error message and not being able to ping the box, may
not be related. Because we distribute QCTerm preset to the telnet address
209.181.113.217, which is the 918 of ours that we expose to the world, we get
this specific error message quite frequently on that 918's console. The
presence of the error message doesn't seem to indicate that anything is all
that wrong with the 918, nor does it ever seem to foretell any sort of
failure mode with the 918.

I've taken it to be more of an indication of a poor quality network path than
anything systemically wrong with the local HP3000, based on the single
datapoint that one of the people who work with us out of his home in Missouri
tends to promote this error half of the time he tries to sign on, and we know
that his cable modem connection is ratty.

Wirt Atmar