HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:22:06 -0500
If HP's strategy really is, as it appears to be, focused towards
coercing users onto Linux, Unix, or Windows OS running on Intel
based CPUs then what, if anything, does HP bring to the table that
differentiates it from any number of other PC system integrators?  If
I understand it correctly, HP no longer makes disc drives, their
future CPUs aren't going to be HP designed, and the OS software
won't be their's either.  So just what is HP planning to do for me? (I
know, I don't spend 5 million a year so HP isn't planning on doing
anything for me anyway, so no change there)

None-the-less I am wondering if I am missing some fundamental
truth or obvious business issue that makes HP's abandonment of
MPE (and possibly, as has been hinted at, HP-UX as well)
advantageous for them vis a vis the Sun or IBM go-it-alone
approach.  What is HP's future when all it does is repackage
somebody else's products?  Why go to HP instead of Dell or
Gateway, or even generic Intel/AMD based systems?

These are not meant as rhetorical questions.  Just what is their
game plan?

Regards,
Jim

---     e-mail is NOT a secure channel
James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3