HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 3

From:
Mike Reaser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Reaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:02:20 -0600
Richard Sheehan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Sorry if this has ever been asked, the archives appear to be down.
>
>Does anyone know of any undesirable side effects of storing the acsii(0)
>NUL in a field in an Image Dataset?  And for the ?inevitable? future,
>how about any other DB's for that matter?
>
>I'm looking to use it or another ascii character as a logical separator
>in free form text entry, when no space occurs in the text, such as in a
>URL string.
>
>TIA,

The only drawback that I can think of is that if the first two
bytes of a field are two NULls then Query will get horky and
display the *entire* field as a <<NULL ITEM>>, even if valid
data resides in the field as of byte 3.

--
    Mike Reaser, Atlanta, GA, USA         B2f+tw+dcvg+kvs++l+
ICQ 36141307   If it's there, remove the YOUKNOW to, well, you know