HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 2

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:05:12 -0500
In Thursday's WSJ, the very last page (Money & Investing Section) is a full
page ad by HP in support of the merger.  I have copied, letter by letter,
line by line below.

(The top of the page has large block letters)

                       "Let's
                    preserve the
                    status quo!"

(Followed by normal text)

Should this be our rallying cry?  Should we add these words to out mission
statement?

These times, of all time, are the least tolerant of the status quo.

Few doubt we are entering a period of profound industry transformation,
driven by technical advances, intensified competition and swiftly changing
customer requirements.

Some suggest we meet these changes with a slow gradual approach,
through a series of small "targeted" acquisitions; as if the integration of
numerous
companies would be simpler than the integration of two.

This is the counsel of those who misunderstand the moment.

More urgently than ever before, customers require integrated end-to-end
solutions
positioned to meet the requirements of our customers and of the times.

In one step, we will become the world leader in servers, storage,
PC's, management software, and printing and imaging.

We will offer the most complete infrastructure solutions in the industry.

We will instantly double our sales force and immediately bolster our R&D
budget.

We will field 65,000 services and support professionals, working across the
enterprise.

Together, hp and Compaq will create a faster, stronger, more responsive
company --
a new hp that is not content with things as they are, but determined to
invent the things that will be.

The problem with the status quo--as our customers,
shareholders and the employees know--is there's no future in it.

(The HP Invent logo)