HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 2

From:
"Jonathan M. Backus" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:04:28 -0500
John,

        The efforts of the OpenMPE movement have been going on since mid-morning,
November 14th.  There are well over 200 companies, vendors, and HP employees
in the discussion group.  The candidates for the Board of Directors had a
nice cross session including end-users, consultants, application vendors,
and utility vendors.  HP tells us they are listening but that no decision
has been made AT ALL.  I believe the community is pulling together in the
same basic direction.  There are several options and concepts that are being
discussed, such as migration versus emulation, etc.

        It should be pointed out the this is not a "Linux" style open source
effort.  HP officials have already indicated through various means (i.e.,
article, conversations, etc.) that they are not really interested in making
the MPE source code "open".  This is more of what you described below, a
cooperative non-profit company that would take control of bug fixes and
enhancements of the MPE environment at some future date.

        Does it have enough support to be successful?  From the user and vendor
community it would appear so but it is too early to know for certain.  From
HP, we don't know yet but that is what we hope to find out in the near
future.

Thanx,
        Jon