HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 2

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:01:21 +0100
Hi Gilles,

You wrote :

> ALL hardware telnet solutions required Openview DTC Manager
> to configure
> and manage - including DTC48 and the stand-alone telnet box
> for which I do
> not recall the product number.

HP 2344A

> Of course, now that software telnet capability is included
> with MPE, the
> need for Openview DTC Manager software is made unnecessary.
>
> However, if you currently have a hardware telnet solution,
> why get rid of
> it if it works to your satisfaction.

Like, if it's not broken, then don't fix it. Makes sense ... but remember,
by removing a network component, you simplify your network, you ease your
network administration burden (therefore saving on human costs), you
decrease teh risk of hardware failure and you save on your maintenance
contracts.

> And, I daresay that a hardware
> solution is almost always preferable to a corresponding solution in
> software. (Another example that immediately comes to mind is
> disk mirroring
> - which is better handled by hardware, IMO.)

I definitely agree with you AFA mirroring is concerned, with the added
advantage that a hardware solution allows you to be OS-independent. However,
I disagree about the telnet thing, for the reasons I wrote above (network
simplification etc.)

But you wrote ALMOST always preferable. That rule therefore allows room for
exceptions.

Christian Lheureux