HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 2

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:22:26 +0100
Danny wrote wrt Store-to-Disk:

>I wonder... Might it be possible to emulate this by first doing a regular
>backup to tape, and then using POSIX "dd" to read the tape to a disk
>file. Hmmm. Of course unnecessary if you have the below mentioned patch.

I doubt that Posix dd with easily handle the verying record lengths
as well as the tape marks on a store tape (but I have not tried it).

You definitely could use Keven Miller's enhanced TapeCOPY on Jazz to
create a Store-To-Disk compatible disk file from a store tape or DDS.
This was the way to go before Store-to-Disk was released as a patch.

Lars.