HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 2

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 09:40:59 -0800
John Korb writes:
> I seem to remember that in the old days the host name for an HP 3000 was
> limited to 8 characters.

A 3000 can have many names.

There's the NS node name and the local domain name configured in NMMGR, plus
you can call it anything you darn well please in DNS.

The most restrictive is probably the NS node name, which is composed of
exactly three components of the form NODENAME.DOMAIN.ORGANIZATION.  Most
people make this the same as the local domain name when they can (i.e.
somenodename.mycompany.com)

Each component of the NS nodename has always been limited to 16 characters
(15?) I believe, so you should always have been able to use a name for the
machine that is up to 16 characters long.

But long names can be a pain to type, so I'd recommend something short and
sweet for the physical NS node name and local domain name, and then if
people want to call it something longer, just load up your DNS with as many
aliases as you like.

G.