HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 2

From:
Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:39:11 -0500
Thanks to Greg Stiger he pointed me to http://support.microsoft.com and I
found the error and fix.

I thought the status statement at the end was interesting.

Thanks again Greg for your help.

It is located at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q236369

and states:

Previous Bitmap Image Displayed When Computer Is Locked (Q236369)

SYMPTOMS
When you lock your workstation by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then clicking
Lock Computer , the previous background wallpaper (rather than the current
wallpaper) may be displayed behind the Computer Locked dialog box.

This is more likely to occur if you previously selected a bitmap (.bmp) file
set to tiled as your wallpaper, and you then selected an included JPEG image
that is centered or stretched and requires the Active Desktop to be enabled.

CAUSE
The Explorer.exe shell provides additional layers that can be displayed on
top of the desktop. These layers include the Start menu, desktop icons, and
the Active Desktop (when it is enabled). These do not replace the desktop,
but run on top of it, and can mask the images that are set to be used on the
desktop itself. When a computer is locked, it is taken out of the user's
context and the Explorer.exe shell is cleared, along with its layers,
revealing the images that are set on the desktop underneath. The issue
described in this article is most noticeable when a .bmp image is selected
and applied as the desktop wallpaper first, and then a JPEG image is
selected for the wallpaper. The effect is compounded if the Picture Display
settings are changed when you apply the JPEG image (for example, changing
from Tile to Stretch ). This causes the small tileable .bmp file that was
previously displayed to be stretched to fit the screen dimensions when the
computer is locked.

RESOLUTION
To prevent this behavior from occurring, clear the previous wallpaper by
clicking None in the Select a background picture or HTML document as
wallpaper box, and then clicking Apply . Then, select the Active Desktop
image you want to use. When the computer is locked, the computer will
display the background color and no previous images.

STATUS
This behavior is by design.

Greg's comment:

I would bet that the copy in your WINDOWS directory has also been replaced.
If you check the support.microsoft.com web site, there is a KB article on
extracting good copies of these. Guess whose twelve year old installed a
Sonic the Hedgehog theme that left something behind when uninstalled?

I must say, I am puzzled by your statement about what appears when you leave
your desk and lock down your PC. I'm not sure which OS you have, or which
screen saver or whatever you may be using, but normally, the startup, please
wait, and shutdown screens do not appear when merely securing the PC.

<deleted comments>

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com

Original Question:

I have the same problem with my PC.  First I renamed the files below to
something else (added a prefix).  This didn't remove the offending wallpaper
when I boot up.  Next I moved these same files to a different directory;
didn't work either.

Once my computer has booted up the correct wall paper appears.  The old
wallpaper appears when I'm shutting down or booting up, or when I leave my
desk and lock down my pc.

Is there any other locations that Windows reads from where the old,
offending wallpaper might be hiding?

Thanks,

Larry b.

The file are:

LOGO.SYS for the startup screen.

LOGOW.SYS for the "Please wait..." screen, and

LOGOS.SYS for "It is now safe..."

Deleting these should restore the original, default screens