HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Neil Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:00:09 -0400
At 04:41 PM 1/3/2002 -0600, Joe M Andress wrote:
Dear Joe,

If you visit our website at:

http://www.robelle.com/tips/suprtool.html

There is an article on how to do this very same thing, it is near the end
of this page. I have cut and pasted the article in however,
the formatting is slightly better on the web page.

One common business task is to generate a date value that is N-days before
or after another date value in your database.

For example, FOLLOWUP-DATE might need to be a week after SHIPPED-DATE. With
the new $Days function in Suprtool, you can easily generate a date that is
N-days before or after any date. You only need to use two Suprtool tasks.
The input date can be in any supported format, but the output date will be
in yyyymmdd format.

The first task generates the desired date, but it will be in Julianday
format. For simplicity, we assume that the file only contains the date, in
yyyymmdd X8 format.

      >input YOURFILE
      >def shipped-date,1,8
      >item shipped-date,date,yyyymmdd
      >def jdate,1,4,int
      >item jdate,date,julianday
      >ext shipped-date
      >ext jdate = $days(shipped-date) + 7
      >out tmpfile,link
      >xeq
The second task converts the Julian-format date to yyyymmdd format.
      >in tmpfile
      >def followup-date,1,8,display
      >item followup-date,date,yyyymmdd
      >ext shipped-date
      >ext followup-date = $stddate(jdate)
      >out result,link
      >xeq

Now you have a self-describing file with the following information
      SHIPPED   FOLLOWUP

      19981231  19980107
      19991230  19990106
      19990228  19990307