HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:47:41 -0500
Personally I never had the opportunity to meet Winston.  I don't believe he
'killed' MPE.  It was the 'upper crust' at HP who decided to 'glean' off the
revenue from the 3000 boxes and apply it to the latest 'Bill Gates' and
others, buzz words.  Like 'unix', 'nt', 'windows 2xxx', etc. etc.
By transferring funding away from R&D for MPE/ix on the IA-64 chip Winston
had no choice, he was between a rock and a hard spot.

I hope that after the Carly catastrophe is over, and she's GONE!!!, those
left will re-invent the 'HP WAY' and stop nickel and dimeing themselves out
of business.

The 3000 had a bright future but when the money is taken away from you, CSY,
you can't develop it's O/S.  It takes dollars and quality people to write
good code when it comes to the O/S side of things.  After all we know how
well all the Windows O/S's work!

just my 0.02 worth.

now back to other things.

L.B.