HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:29:29 -0800
With all the announcements, talking, back talking, explanations,
recriminations, accusations and trash talking coming from HP and the list
about the demise of the 3000, one thing I haven't seen is the following

"WHERE'S THE BEEF".

HP talks about 30-60% trade in credits for a HP-UX systems, and that's all
they say.

But,

1.  Will that trade in and percentages be for any 900 series system, 917 to
997/1200?  What determines 30 or 60 percent?
2.  Do we have to make a simultaneous switch of 3000 and 9000, or can we
keep the 3000 for a length of time for testing or migration?
3.  Are these discounts off full list price or a negotiated price?
4.  What about discounts or trade-ins for purchased HP software that may
have a purchasable counterpart on HP-UX?
5.  What about FOS products of the 3000 that may require extra cost
purchase on the 9000?
6.  What about any Classic 3000s?
7.  If a user doesn't have an unlimited license on the 3000, what do they
get on a 9000?
8.  Does the 3000 have to match up to its 9000 counterpart?  e.g. K-class to
K-class.
9.  What about services and prices for HP disaster recovery?
10. What about peripheral prices and upgrades (disc, tape and print)?
11. Are IA-64 servers available or only PA-RISC?
12. What about migrating to Linux on HP9000.
13. Anything else you can think of.

I won't even get into the lack of information about migration to Netserver.

This information should have been announced and ready to go on Nov 14, when
shops that may have been contemplating their next move might stay with HP
not a vacuum 7 weeks later.

Mike Berkowitz
Guess? Inc.