HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Adam Dorritie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Dorritie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:58:24 -0800
Jon replies:

> [Jon Backus]>  How do you propose that it should be done?  One
> vote for each
> system?  Then the people with big systems are going to say they
> should carry
> more weight then people with small systems.  One vote for a certain dollar
> amount of support?  Then one big system has more weight then several small
> ones.  Also, you would have reduced the "popular vote" to only people with
> current direct HP support contracts.  There can be arguments made for and
> against any method of measuring.

How about "anyone who uses, might use, or has used MPE and would like to
vote, can vote, but only once"?

> [Jon Backus]>  It is outlined on the ballot that there is one vote per
> company.  If your night time operator thinks he has the right to speak for
> your whole company, that's an internal problem.

No that's your problem, because you have provided me with a ballot (which is
for your benefit as well as mine) that offers me no way to override what
might be a harmless mistake (the operator may think that I'm not interested
in voting).  That's an external problem and one that you have introduced.
For an organization which depends upon the participation of entities such as
my theoretical company for its success, as OpenMPE does, and for someone who
says he desires to perpetuate MPE far into the future, I find your reasoning
to be self-destructive.  You're basically saying that I may not be able to
participate in your endeavor because you don't think issues I have with your
process are your problem.

It seems to me that developing a solution which depends upon a community of
users requires making as much effort to include as many members of that
community as possible.  Responding to a valid criticism of the balloting
process by saying "that's an internal problem" seems to me to demonstrate a
lack of understanding of the dynamics of community involvement.

Regards,

Adam Dorritie
Easy Does It Technologies LLC
(702) 270-6402