HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:36:35 -0800
Hi HP3000-L,

Jarkko Hietaniemi has been trying to get me to test the latest developer
snapshots of Perl on MPE for the past couple of months, but I just don't have
the personal bandwidth to accomodate him.  :-(

So I'm posting on HP3000-L to see if there are any Perl/iX fans out there who
would like to assist Jarkko.  The process goes something like this:

1) download and unpack the latest Perl snapshot archive from Jarkko's server.

2) compile Perl from source (requires the gcc bundle from
http://jazz.external.hp.com/src/gnu/gnuframe.html)

3) run the Perl test suite

The snapshot compiles usually complete OK on MPE.  But there are always lots of
little test suite failures that need to be investigated, and the most common
fix for these failures is usually supressing the failing subtests on MPE
because MPE lacks the required functionality.

If you had to make any code changes, you then generate a set of diffs and
e-mail them to Jarkko who incorporates them into the next developer snapshot.
The cycle then begins again.

Please contact me directly if you would like to volunteer to do this.  Perl is
a VERY BIG compile, so a powerful e3000 will make your life easier.  ;-)
Invent3k is available for this purpose -- http://jazz.external.hp.com/pads/.
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...