HP3000-L Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 16:42:51 -0800
I suspect Apache isn't returning the correct MIME type for files with .hlp
extensions.

The question is what is the correct MIME type for .hlp files, and the answer is
I don't know.

Maybe there's some configuration window on IIS that will let you mess with the
MIME types.  Or you can telnet to the IIS machine's port 80 and manually do an
HTTP HEAD command on the file in question to see what MIME type gets returned.

Then just modify Apache's conf/mime.types to include the correct entry for .hlp
files.

- Mark B.

Donna Garverick wrote:

> hi all!
>
> here's a good one (i hope).
>
> so...i have this (ever-growing) web site on one of mpe
> systems.  i've got all sorts of stuff squirrelled away...and
> for the most part everything is swell.  for example, i have
> lots of word documents visible thru this web site.  if you
> click on a document's link, my browser (netscape) comes back
> with the 'open it now or save it to disk' dialogue.  (this
> good and right)  however, i have a windows help (.hlp) file
> also available thru a web link.  even though i have .hlp
> defined as a known application in my browser, when i click
> on the link....i get gobble-dy-gook (technical phrase, you
> know :-).  there's nothing wrong with the file.  i can see
> the file thru a samba share and double-clicking on the icon
> fires up winhelp -- just like it should.
>
> so what gives??  i placed a copy of this winhelp file onto
> one of our nt servers....browsed my way over to the file and
> requested it.  this time, netscape did the 'open it now or
> save it' thing.  so what gives??           - d 'deja vu all
> over again'
>
> --
> Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer

Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...