SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
divewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:41:25 -0800
Good work Viv!
Thanks for the heads up.
Although I'm sure I wrote much less than you did,
I added the following to the web site.

John

Hello, this is coming from California USA. My wife and I visited Ningaloo
Reef last year, and will spend a good portion of our future travel planning
to try to return to that area.

What you have there is a gem in the world of conserved marine environments.
Please, for your sake, which will be in the form of preservation of a world
gem, do not harm this location.

The best action to take with the environment, when you are NOT sure that you
will do no harm, is no action at all. This means no development.
Preservation would be great.

I understand that you could easily look to the USA for examples of  failed
preservation of it's own environments. True enough, mates. Perhaps you can
also find a lesson in that. Please attempt to be wiser than we are and do
all that you can to preserve Ningaloo.

We plan to be checking up on your efforts in about 2-3 years.
Good Luck,
John Hauer

Also,
We read in the paper today that you aussies finally got some rain near
Sydney. Good on ya. We are following the stories of the fires in hope of
hearing that all is well, or at least contained.

Our papers do like to report about dead Roos and Kualas. For shame.

Good luck there,
too.