SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:57:34 +1100
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 01:29:42 -0500, Brad Stambaugh wrote:

(snip)

> GUE does have a DIR Fundamentals class, and I would love to take it.
> Maybe in the future, I will.  But for those who can't take the course,
> or would like to know what the course covers, you can buy the book on
> GUE's website. By coincidence, (believe it, or not :-)  ... ) I just
> finished the book today. I give the book five stars, and would say it is
> essential reading for new and experienced divers. It's dive smart
> information that you won't find any where else.   ... I thought my
> instructer was good, but now I realise how many things were done wrong.

I've also just - this minute <BWG> - finished reading the GUE Manual,
"Getting Clear On The Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving." ... and
all that I can say is, "Me too!"  :-).

In recent times - and leaving all of the personalities concerned to one
side - I've always thought that the ANDI Manual was pretty good in terms of
the hard core information that it contained.  (And I've got a single digit
IANTD Instructor number!) :-)

The GUE Manual, however, is one of the finest - and best supported in terms
of additional reading and sources - that I've ever read as regards the more
esoteric aspects of recreational diving.  In all honesty, I can't speak too
highly of it, and heartily recommend it to anyone who takes diving
seriously!  :-)

Strike