SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 02:59:00 -0500
David Strike wrote:

> There're two major reasons for this.  The first - and most obvious - is
that
> water being a much denser medium than air, conducts sound much more
> efficiently than on the surface.  (The reason that low frequency whale
songs
> can be heard by other whales who may be oceans away!)  The fact that it's
> such a good conductor of sound is the reason that it's usually so
difficult
> to tell  from which direction the sound emanates. :-)

This is certainly true, but I don't think it's the entire reason that I can
hear some things more clearly underwater than above.  I'm guessing that the
medium, water, also causes a frequency shift, moving the sound out of my
very sharply defined impaired zone into a zone above or below it, where I
can hear just fine.

> In fact even with scuba - and a limited air space - divers can have
detailed
> conversations if they press the sides of their heads together, (assuming
> that they're not wearing thick hoods), and allow the sounds to be
conducted
> through the bone of the skull.  Mind you!  You do have to put up with
funny
> looks afterwards if other divers see you and your buddy locked in a
> seemingly intimate embrace while you're chatting away together!  :-)

What a great idea.  I'm going to try this one out soon.  If it works, I
suppose I'll have to give Strike the credit.  Oh well.

Lee