SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:45:16 -0500
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<snip of the kiwi shears>
>Last Saturday we aborted to "Two Poles" (18m - 60 ft). I don't usually
>dive that depth with twins, let's call the other tank a "large pony"
>instead. :)

<snippity-do-da .........>
>So I fall overboard and am busily pulling myself down the buoyline
>(yep, the dive site is all-of-a-sudden buoyed, thanks Les) when at
>about 6 metres down (I checked) I espy this really skinny bit of ...
>weed? Nope it's a fish, about 6cm (2.5') long (when compared to my
>hand), green, long tubular snout about one third of the body, skinny.
>
>Seems to be an itty bitty baby version of the flutemouth, without that
>skinny tail appendage.
>
>Viv maybe? Could it be the baby version? I suspect it is but my books
>don't tell me.

Sorry Christian .. I have never seen a itty bitty baby flutemouth ever, but
I would love to!!  I checked every fish reference book I have access to
here .. no comments about the juveniles let alone a pic of one :-(
I would not be suprised though to hear that the specimen you spotted could
still be in the same area as some juveniles do not stray far until they
have grown up a bit.  When are you going back to that dive site to take a
pic of the little itty-bitty for us to debate about ;-)
Viv